Monday, April 20, 2009

What is Goth?

This is a funny question...why? Because of what I have found out there pertaining to this. Some out there will argue it's just the music...some will argue its how one dresses and others it's a state of mind. There are even different themes out there I have found...Victorian, Punk, Emo, Egyptian, Cyber, Christian, Vamps, Fairy...the list goes on and on. And there are actually people who fight and argue over this. I'm happy to have it all under one big umbrella of "Goth". Makes things quite simple for me. LOL!
What had drawn me to goth? Probably it first started with my love for Halloween. Then when I hit the teens...like many out there...started wearing black an so on though I didn't dress too much like a goth, I liked some of the music and alot of other things that goths liked. As I got older I wasn't into the goth scene as much till the goth in me was almost non-existent. The last 5 years I slowly started back...getting more black clothes, etc. I used to dye my hair but I had started getting gray hair sooner than most and it was frustrating having to colour often and doing root touch ups. But at times I take the plunge and dye it again. (Will do it again soon). Now remember...just because people dress all in black doesn't mean you call them goth. ;)
Some people don't care for labels...it doesn't matter to me. Some say I am goth, others don't. I don't wear black every day but I do love the colour. I don't listen to all the music some say a goth should listen to...I love all kinds but that is because I'm such a music lover. ;) (Not saying those who don't listen to all kinds are not a music lover) Some goths like the writings of Edgar Allan Poe, Mary Shelley, John Keats, Lord Byron, and others who lamented the pains of lost love and the inner wounds inflicted by a cruel society.
I've actually found on the net someone posted a list of 175 types of goth! LOL! I know it's hard to categorize everyone into one category but for me it's just easier to put them under the category "Goth". You will always have people with their opinion of what is or isn't goth. Some say you are happy or you don't wear black all the time or don't wear black nail polish so you are not goth and other crazy things like that. LOL! Personally...I'm just myself and if they call me goth then fine. I don't really care.
When people see those who look goth are actually afraid of us when they don't need to be. People like that need to put aside the stereotypes and not be unsettled by how we appear. As the saying goes...you can't judge a book by its cover. Like anyone else...we want to be treated respectfully. Goths are usually very interesting to talk to, and I think hearing our perspectives on society and life can be both challenging and stimulating.

No comments:

Post a Comment